Saturday, December 2, 2017

The Ryan Reaves Effect

I know it’s been a while since my last post so I thought I’d pick an easy topic to start off. Work has been absolutely ridiculous, but I’ve finally found a way to start writing on my down time. 

Let’s get this shit show on the road with something I like to call “The Ryan Reaves Effect.” During the off-season, the Pens have picked up a piece of the puzzle that they have been severely lacking for a LONG time. That piece is Ryan Reaves. Now, don’t get me wrong, the Pens picked up Tom Sestito a few seasons ago and I really liked watching him play, but I feel like he isn’t and wasn’t the intimidating force that the Penguins needed on the ice. For those of you wondering, Tom is doing a nice job of reinventing his playing style in the AHL and is a really great guy. I had The pleasure of talking to him in Hartford on his way down the tunnel between periods. 


Back to Ryan. Although he’s a good four inches shorter than Tom, his playing style and willingness to throw hands anytime anywhere make up for the difference. A lot of fans were unhappy about the trade and what the Pens has to give up, but that type of player is exactly what I’ve been praying the Pens would sign or pick up. Watching the Pens stars get run and man handled with no response has been...embarrassing...to say the least. Players like Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang should not have to be plagued by concussions and I feel like Reaves will help solve that issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment